Applicants FAQ

Why do I need to be licensed?

On May 29, 1997, the Alabama State Legislature established the Alabama Electronic Security Board of Licensure (AESBL) by enacting Act 97-711 (Code of Alabama, Section 34-1A). The AESBL statute requires that all persons working in the alarm and/or locksmith businesses be licensed in the State of Alabama. Such licensure would include the required training for the applicant’s discipline and a state/federal background check.

Do I have to work for a company to be licensed?

Yes, an individual must work for a licensed company and must hold their own individual license through that company. Additionally, a self-employed individual must be licensed under their own company, obtaining both a company and an individual license.

Can I apply online?

A first-time applicant cannot apply online and must submit the required paperwork for licensure. The online renewal application is only available for currently licensed individuals who are applying for renewal during the open renewal period.

What if I do not have my training certification yet?

Individuals who have yet to acquire their required training certificate can be licensed as a trainee for six months. After six months, the badge will expire and a training certificate must be submitted to the AESBL in order for the individual to receive a new badge and continue working. Trainee status does not apply to Qualifying Agents. QA’s must have all their required certifications at time of licensure.

Licensees FAQ

Why is the AESBL mailing address at a UPS Store?

The AESBL receives mail every day that contains sensitive content—such as checks, credit card information, Social Security numbers, dates of birth, etc. Therefore, a secure mailbox is essential to protecting applicants and licensees. Unlike the United States Post Office, a UPS Store will accept items mailed via UPS and FedEx. Because the vast majority of mail received by the AESBL is sent via UPS and FedEx, we must have a mailbox through UPS rather than the U.S. Post Office.

Why must I submit fingerprint cards every renewal period?

Stemming from an FBI audit in 2017, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) began requiring that all individuals—both new and renewals—must submit fingerprint cards every time a background check is run. This new rule applies to all boards and agencies statewide—not just the AESBL.

Why must I submit continuing education every renewal period?

Through the establishment of Code of Alabama, 34-1A, the Alabama State Legislature has given the authority to the Alabama Electronic Security Board to determine the educational requirements of its licensees. Therefore, because of a rapid advancement of technology in the security and locksmith industries, the Board requires licensees to participate in approved courses that will allow them to stay updated on such changes. By staying up-to-date on the latest technology, companies can give their customers the highest quality of products and service available.

What should I do if my license has lapsed?

Renewing a license after it has lapsed is not too different from the basic renewal process. The same items are required—a completed application, updated CEUs, passport sized picture, ALEA forms and fingerprint cards, and fees. The only difference is that, because of a lapse in licensing, an individual will need to submit the additional fees for a federal background check. Please note that a renewal following such a lapse cannot be processed in the online renewal portal.

Consumers FAQ

How can I be sure a company or individual is licensed?

Before you allow any individual to enter your home to install a security system or to repair or replace a lock, you should ask to see their ID badge issued by the Alabama Electronic Security Board of Licensure. It is required by law that this badge be carried on their person. If an individual cannot produce such a badge, do not allow them to enter your home for any reason. Additionally, a list of currently licensed companies is on the AESBL website and can be accessed in order to verify licensing status. However, licensed individuals are not listed publicly. You may call the AESBL office to verify licensing status of a company or individual.

Note: We may put a picture of the badge here if possible.

How long do I have to file a complaint against a company and/or individual?

A complaint must be filed within 12 months of the date of the incident. Any complaint submitted beyond the 12-month time period will not be eligible for processing.

What should I do if a salesperson will not leave my house?

If a salesperson, installer, or locksmith is in your home but refuses to leave, you have every right to call your local police department or sheriff’s office in order to report the situation and have the individual removed.